Tana River County has a total of 1,108 Km of classified road network. Out of this, about 55 percent of the total road network is in good condition. Most of the roads are intercepted by seasonal rivers (commonly known as laghas , which make them impassable during the rainy seasons. Although the county produces most of the marketed mango fruits in major towns in the Coast region, most of the produce ends up rotting in farms due to poor road network. The county government therefore, has to allocate adequate resources for scaling up road improvement and opening up new roads.
• Rehabilitation of road and improvement of drainage system.
• Gravelling and improvement of drainage system.
• Gravelling; Construction of culverts; Earthworks
• Upgrading to bitumen standard
• Rehabilitation of the road; Improvement of the drainage system; Laying of culverts
• Street Lighting
• Construction of the weighing bridges, foot bridges and bridges
• Adopt and develop the regional and national corridors through corridor development approach.
• Develop and implement a Road Investment/Master Plan.
To be the leading provider of cost effective, physical infrastructure facilities and services in the nation and beyond.
To provide efficient, affordable and reliable infrastructure for sustainable economic growth and development through modernization, rehabilitation and effective management of all infrastructure facilities in the County
The overall Goal of the department is to Manage and maintain a standard road network system that serves the interest of the community
• To establish a policy/legal and institutional framework for management of the roads within the County adhere to world class quality standards.
• To ensure minimal complaints by becoming transparent and accountable to the people of Tana River
• To provide Quality Management Systems that meet international standards.
• Enhance collaboration with internal & external stakeholders for the purposes of benchmarking with other areas and also keeping ourselves abreast with emerging trends in the Roads sector
• To build a reliable transport network to enhance interconnectedness within the County and linking the County with other areas of the County
• To build an informed society on road safety and road uses through capacity building and community support.
• To create road networks to enhance easy accessibility throughout the County.
• Working in line towards the attainment of vision 2030
|No||Activities and Objectives||Description of the activities|
|1||Improvement of roads through tarmacking of the major roads in the County Head Quarter (Hola Laza Roads)|
(Objective. To provide reliable, cost effective and faster infrastructure that enhances socio economic Development)
|Ongoing 15 KM soil stabilized low volume road using G- TECHNOLOGY which has the same load bearing capacity as bitume|
|Spot Improvement of roads through graveling, bush clearing and roads construction|
(Objective. To open up the roads to improve livestock and agriculture marketing)
|Completed and ongoing Improvement of 60 Roads within the County|