The Department of Finance and Planning is one of the nine departments created by. H.E the Governor and has a pivotal role in the coordination of development planning, mobilization of public resources and ensuring effective accountability for use of the resources for benefit of the County.
The Department derives its mandate from the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and other related subordinate laws including Public Management Finance Act 2012, County Government Public Finance Management Transition Act 1 2013 And County Government Act 2012 and is responsible for finance and economic planning of the County.
It coordinates County government departments/sectors in the preparation of the annual County budget. It is the responsibility of the department to initiate and guide all sectors to prepare their budgets. The department also provides Accounting, Auditing, Insurance, Pensions and Procurement services.
The department’s focus is categorized into five broad areas defined as units namely Finance, Procurement, Treasury, Revenue, and Economic Planning & Budgeting each unit headed by a director.
To mobilize resources, ensure prudent management of resources, and provide leadership in development planning and tracking of results.
The mandate of the department is to:
• To Implement Financial and Economic policies in the county
• Annual budget preparation
• Resource mobilization
• Managing County Government’s public debt and other obligations & developing debt control framework
• Consolidating Annual appropriation accounts and other financial statements of the County Government Custodian of the inventory of County Government Assets
• Ensure compliance with accounting standards prescribed by Accounting Standards Board
• Ensure proper management and control of, and accounting for the finances of the County Government and its entities in order to promote efficient and effective use of county budgetary resources
• Maintenance of proper records for CRF, CEF and other public funds administered by County Government
• Monitor County Government entities
• Assisting County Government Entities develop capacity
• Provide National Treasury with information
• Issue circulars
• Advise County Government Executives, County Executive Committee, and County Assembly on financial matters
• Strengthening financial and fiscal relations between the National Government and County Government in performing its function
• Reporting regularly to the County Assembly on the implementation of annual county budget
• Taking any other action to further the implementation this Act.