The Constitution of Kenya, 2010, clearly outlines the functions of the County Government under the Fourth Schedule, part 2. One of the key functions of the County government outlined is Pre-Primary, Village Polytechnics, Home craft centers and Childcare facilities.
The core function of this department focuses on the young and youthful citizens of this county. This specifically includes their welfare which comprises of their education, employment, personal health and self-reliance. The county of Tanariver, through this sector has put in place elaborate strategies whose intentions are to educate, train and empower the youth who play a critical role in the development of the county.
A globally competitive youth in education, training, research and innovation for sustainable development
To provide, promote & coordinate quality training and talent development to youth for economic development
- Youth Polytechnics
Basically this department deals with Early Childhood Development and Education, Primary Education and secondary Education and Vocational Trainings.
The following are the number of educational institutions in Tana River County;
TANA RIVER SUB-COUNTY
-Public primary school – 51 schools
-Public secondary school s – 6 schools
-public ECDE Centres -121 centre
-Youth polytechnics -1 youth polytechnic – Hola yp
TANA DELTA SUBCOUNTY
-Public primary school – 63 schools
-Public secondary school s – 7schools
-Public ECDE Centres -144 centre
-Youth polytechnics -2 youth polytechnic – Maziwa and Tarasaa yps
TANA NORTH SUBCOUNTY
-Public primary school – 47 schools
-Public secondary school s – 4 schools
-public ECDE Centres -84 centres
-Youth polytechnics -1 youth polytechnic – Tumaini yp
TOTAL EDUCATIONAL INSTITUTIONS IN THE COUNTY:
PUBLIC PRIMARY SCHOOLS – 161 SCHOOLS
PUBLIC SECONDARY SCHOOLS – 17 SCHOOLS
PUBLIC ECDE SCHOOLS -349 SCHOOLS-
YOUTH POLYTECHNICS -4 YPS
A globally competitive vocational, entrepreneurial and life skills training for youth employ-ability
To empower the youth with competitive and employable skills, knowledge and attitudes to enable them participate in National Development.
Strategic Objectives of the Department:
Promotion of access, equity, quality and relevant vocational training in Youth Training.
Promote integration of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) in Youth Polytechnic training.
Strengthen strategic partnerships and linkages in Youth Training.
Promote technology transfer and innovation for competitiveness in Youth Training.
Strengthen human and institutional capacity in Youth Training.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF DEPARTMENT OF YOUTH TRAINING
- Ensuring that public services are delivered in accordance with national laws, regulations and policies;
- Ensuring modernization of the Public Service by introduction of modern technologies and innovative procedures and systems to improve service delivery;
- Ensuring that public officers demonstrate professionalism, transparency and accountability in performing their duties and that they show courtesy, integrity and neutrality in dealing with citizens;
- Contribute to the development/ review and implementation of Departmental Strategic Plan and ensure that it is linked to CSDP
- Setting comprehensive performance targets and ensuring their achievement;
- Preparing employees in the organization for the desired changes in working styles, attitudes and work ethics;
- Ensuring progressive realization of the Bill of Rights;
- Ensure promotion of National Cohesion and Integration.
Trainees enrollment in Youth Polytechnics
COURSES PROVIDED IN YOUTH POLYTECHNICS
- Garment Making Technology
- Motor Vehicle Technology
- Metal Processing Technology
- Appropriate Carpentry and Joinery
- Hair Dressing and Beauty Therapy
- Food Processing Technology
- Refrigeration and Air Conditioning
- Electrical and Electronics Technology